Friday, December 12, 2008

Working at home

Actually, I should title this, "Working from home". I've had a real awakening. I've had a desktop computer at home since I built my first one from a HeathKit (PC compatible with an Intel 8088 processor) in the 80's. I could log in to the Unix computer at our office at the US Geological Survey and get some work done after hours or on week-ends. I didn't do it a lot but when something needed to be done or I had a sudden thought about a problem I was working on, it was nice to have the flexibility to do that. When I came to my present job, I couldn't do that but I could still bring work home (on disk or by e-mailing it) but it wasn't as convenient. For years, though, our network administrator has set up a Virtual Private Network so that we could log in from home and use the company network. I haven't had a high powered computer at home for a while, though, and didn't think I could ever do that. But recently, I got a new, fast computer with plenty of memory, a quad-core processor, a large screen and plenty of disk space. So, I was ready to install the VPN client and get to work!

When I tried to install the software, though, I got a rude awakening. My new computer was too advanced. The software couldn't run on my 64-bit operating system (Windows Vista 64 bit - it's not as bad as I'd been led to believe). So, what to do now? Was I reduced to bringing home work on my thumb drive or e-mailing it back and forth?

Well, the network administrators had an idea. They asked me to try Log Me In or as it is usually "spelled" LogMeIn, (my first thought was that it looked like a Chinese noodle dish). I heard about things like this where you can access your computer through a Web browser as if you are at your desk. But I didn't think it would work very well. Boy was I wrong. It's really great. It is literally like you're sitting at your desk at work. There is a little delay as you type or click the mouse but, for the most part, everything just works. I highly recommend this. There is nothing fancy to set up and you don't need to have a high powered computer to use it. I do recommend having at least as large a screen at home as you have on the work computer, though. My screen at home is a 24" wide screen monitor while my screen at work is "only" a 22" wide screen monitor.

But everything just works. I didn't have to worry about connecting to the network. I didn't have to worry about setting up a link to our source control system (we use Subversion). I didn't have to worry about installing the compilers (we mostly program in Java and use IntelliJ but I also use CodeGear's C++ Builder and Delphi) or programming utilities we use like installer makers (we use Inno Setup for Windows applications). Even small things like screen capture and hex editors are already set up. It's amazing how many programs and files you use that make working easier or more efficient that you don't think about needing to be installed on a new computer.

Everything was already set up on my computer at work. I have access to everything from my old familiar Web browser bookmarks to our network as if I was sitting at my desk. Our company doesn't encourage us to work extra hours and I don't plan on abandoning my family to put in more hours at work. What this does is to give me the flexibility to work on something critical or to work on something as I get an inspiration. It also allows me to stay home when I'm feeling just a little sick. Normally, I'd force myself to go in. Now, I can still get work done but not infect everyone else at work.

No comments: