Thursday, June 07, 2012

Habitat for Humanity

I first heard about Habitat for Humanity in 1984 when Jimmy Carter and his wife Rosalynn volunteered to work on a house in New York City but the organization had been going since 1976 (and it got its start at Koinonia Farm which began in 1942). Ever since I first heard about it, I thought it would be a good idea to get involved but there was always something else to do.

But last month, one of the fellows I work with in the software group sent out a note about a need for workers on a local house. He is very active in Habitat and was very enthusiastic in talking with us about it. I decided the time had come and I signed up. I'm really glad I did. Not only are the volunteers doing a good thing, they are also learning a lot and meeting other people with the desire to help others. I was amazed what hard workers I found at this site. There were people of all different skill levels but there were things to do that needed any skill level that was available.

We arrived at 7:45 and the leaders already had things organized. We had a short safety talk and then the plans for the day were announced. We were going to construct and raise the gable walls on this house (you can see them in position at the end of the day in the picture here). Once we got started, it seemed very disorganized at first. But once everyone found their job to do, it went very fast. I was pleased with the level of concern there was for doing a good job and how everyone pitched in. If you needed help with what you were doing, there were people who gladly showed you how to do it or worked with you if you felt intimidated. Here we were mostly strangers but I felt a part of a team right away. No one looked down on the people with less skill and no one was left just standing around with nothing to do. If you found yourself with a job complete and nothing to do, you were asked to join another group that needed help.

There was a short coffee break at 10 AM and a local minister gave a little talk and we prayed together before returning to work. It reminded me that we were here not only to help the people who would be purchasing this house but we were here to help each other and to give the glory to God. We've been studying the Epistle of James in our church and this verse really sums it all up for me.
What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, and you say, “Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well”—but then you don’t give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do? So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless. James 2:14-17 NLT
I hope to be able to do this again. My skills are limited and I may get in the way more than help but you wouldn't know it from the reception I got form the other volunteers that day. They made me feel like I was a vital part of the work crew. They made me feel I was worthy. They were reflecting God's love to me. I hope I can do the same for others.

No comments: