Thursday, January 25, 2018

My mother would have been 93 today but...

As I've mentioned before, my mother died in 2016. The picture to the right is from July, 2003. This is one of the happiest times I can remember for her. We had adopted our daughter just a few months before this and this was my mother's first visit with her. She loved her grandchildren so much.

But I'm going to tell a funny little story about my mother. She always felt embarrassed about this but she also couldn't help laughing when she told it. And then she'd feel guilty right after laughing.

One day, she was driving through our town, off in the distance, she saw one of my cousins and a couple of his friends walking along the road. She wanted to say hello to them but they didn't seem to notice her as she waved so she drove closer to the side of the road. She must have been looking at them and not at what was in the road. Just as she got the closest to them, she beeped so they would look toward her and just then, she ran through a large water puddle and splashed them with a lot of water. She hadn't seen the puddle because she was focused on my cousin and his friends. They were surprised and she felt horrible. My cousin now says he doesn't remember this so it doesn't seem to have done any lasting damage to him.

No comments: