Saturday, January 07, 2023

This guy can't be trusted

An active Vizsla
Boy, if I can't write eight straight posts on eight straight days, then what am I going to do for the rest of the year? I managed to get a post out on a very busy day (Thursday, January 5) but on a lazy day (the next day), I just couldn't do it. That points out how arbitrary my excuses are. If I don't write and post something when I plan to, I look for something to blame it on.

We made it to New York and back in good shape. We left about 8:15 AM and got back back around 5:15 PM - eight hours. What's so hard about that? Yes, the traffic was heavy (how do people do that every day?) and it was raining off and on the whole way. But things went well, too. Our old car ran well and our dog was wonderful. We did need stop a few times more than we normally would so that she could walk on her leash to stretch her legs and do her duty. But she slept a lot and just looked out the window a lot. She is a very active dog who likes to run (see the picture) but is also very understanding. She trusts us that we'll let her get enough exercise later. She is a Vizsla which is a very active breed. They are very fast, too, so you don't dare let them loose if there is a chance that they could see or smell something interesting because they can bound away at high speed and be far away when you finally realize that a call back is needed. Her greatest joy, though, is just being with her family. She seems to be able to handle anything as long as we there to share the inconvenience with her.

My daughter had a wonderful time and is a little depressed to not be with her fiance and his family. They all really love her and enjoy being with her (who couldn't?) but life goes on and people have to work and go to school. But the fact remains - she cannot be with the man she loves and that makes it hard. We need to be more understanding when she is unhappy about the situation. I know how I am when I need to be away from my wife and children (and dog and cats). I'm a mess.

When we got home, and my wife and I were both exhausted, she asked, "How would you like to be a bus driver and have to make that trip every day?" I wouldn't and I couldn't. The same thing must be true for truck drivers. I can't imagine it and I thank God that there are people who are willing to do that and drive safely at the same time.Similarly, pilots, airline crews and train crews are amazing people. We all depend on them for so many things and we'll never be able to personally thank them. Just try to remember them in our prayers - but don't depend on me for that!


No comments: