Sunday, July 05, 2009

The fireworks were great

My son and I went to the fireworks display last night and they were the best ever. We've got it down to a science now. We leave at the same time every year (leaving enough time to arrive before they start but not so long that we have to wait too long for the show), park at the same place (far enough from the viewing area to not get stuck in the rush to leave but not so far away to have to walk more than 20 minutes) and sit at the same place (it's got a clear view and isn't crowded). My wife and daughter have stayed home every year because it is well past my daughter's bed time.

[The picture here is from this site: http://blog.besttraveldeals.net/?p=238]

Our town's fireworks are very nice because of their size and amount but what makes them really special is that they are displayed at the seashore so there are many clear viewing areas. Even the island across the sound can see them. And last night, one of the towns on the island had their fireworks at the same time so we got two shows at once. We sit on some rocks bordering an inlet from the sound (that's a large branch of the ocean between the island and the mainland). So, there is no one in front of us. It almost seems that the fireworks are put on just for us. There are lots of people around but there is plenty of room for everyone. Before I was married, I would go to the place closest to the display which was always crowded and noisy. Often, people would be there throwing firecrackers at other people. It almost seemed like a lot of people weren't there for the fireworks but to just be seen or to cause trouble. I only went there a couple of times. I didn't start going again until my son wanted to see them. That's why we picked a less crowded area. It's a couple of miles from the closest location but still allows a fine view.

Next year, we're all going to go. We'll see if my daughter can stay up. I can't wait!

No comments: