Saturday, July 24, 2010

More on poison ivy

I forgot to mention something in my last post. Besides the things the doctor prescribed, the Prednisone and the hydro cortisone cream, I was using Burt's Bees Poison Ivy Soap to help with my poison ivy outbreak. I'm not usually one for natural remedies but this stuff is great. It not only relieves the itching but it dries out the skin with the rash and helps heal it. This is good for washing up when you think you've been exposed to poison ivy (I wish I'd done that in the first place) and good for when you have a poison ivy rash. It won't do the whole job of curing it in a severe case but it sure helps.

I got it because it was recommended by a friend who in turn had it recommended to him by some landscapers. And they should know all about poison ivy! That's one of my criteria for trying something new:
Does someone who needs and uses the stuff a lot recommend it?
That's only one of my criteria, though. I know a lot of people who use a lot of things that I would never try. Let's just leave it at that.

Burt's Bees Poison Ivy Soap is not cheap. It costs about $8 for a 2 ounce bar (as in the picture) and I've not seen it cheaper anywhere. I find that it lasts for a long time, though. I've had the bar I used for a couple of years. But then, I only seem to get poison ivy once a year.Once I get it, I'm pretty wary for the rest of the summer. Maybe that's the best thing for poison ivy - be aware and don't get into it in the first place. This site and this site are helpful in learning what to look for. The scariest thing I found on those and other sites is that poison ivy is quite variable in how it presents itself. On one hand, you could say, "Stay away from anything with three leaves that match the general description of poison ivy." On the other hand, there are so many plants and vines that have three leaves and appear similar to poison ivy that you could never go in the woods again! I think it's worth studying a little. I enjoy the outdoors too much to just stay out of the woods.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Give me the major drugs instead. I want relief yesterday.