Monday, July 26, 2010

One method for flawless program behavior

I was so excited Friday afternoon. I'd been banging my head against the wall trying to get our program to build in a new way and I kept running into problem after problem. Then, I found what I'd done wrong and fixed the problem. I built the program one more time and got no errors. And it wasn't too long after 5 PM so I wouldn't be too late getting home, either. What a great way to end the week! I went home secure in the knowledge that our program was building flawlessly and I'd be able to start fresh on Monday.

If I came in this morning and that was the case, there would be no reason for this post, of course. I came in and found that the version of our program that was being built had old code from earlier last week. The code that was being used to build the latest version of our program was dated from the time before I started changing the way our program was being built. As I looked into it, I saw that the change I'd made late Friday afternoon just kept the major part of the build process from running. So, no wonder there were no errors - most of the process wasn't running. After correcting that, I built our program again and all the errors I was seeing on Friday returned. But now I was fresh and could tackle them one by one. Now I've fixed them all and the new way of building our program works and actually uses all the latest changes made by everyone in our group. Will wonders never cease.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Pat on the back.