Friday, October 01, 2010

More mushrooms

It was hard coming back to work after my walk in the woods at noon today. There were just so many varieties of mushrooms out that I kept stopping to take pictures and slowing my return to the office. It's a good thing I eventually got back, though, because a big rainstorm hit about five minutes after I got inside. I don't want this blog to just be about mushrooms but I do want to show as many as I can.
The first one looks like a flying saucer. I almost expect Klatuu and Gort to come walking out of it. The next one, on the left, looks like wax that was poured over a mold and overflowed it. As will all my pictures, you can see an enlarged copy by just clicking on the picture. Also, any pictures of mine are free to use as you like. I just hope you'll give me credit for them if you think they are worthy.

The next picture makes me feel as tired as it looks. It seems this mushroom was either overwhelmed by its own cap or just needed a rest. The stem wasn't broken - just bent. The variety of colors in the mushrooms I'm seeing this fall is just amazing. Orange and yellow are predominating but this shade of red is also showing up frequently. My wife and daughter will undoubtedly tell me this isn't red but some exotic shade that I've never heard of.

The last mushroom I'll show today is one of the few pure white ones I've seen so far. Normally, I think white is the most frequent color I see in mushrooms but this year it seems to be rare.

By the way, I think I've figured out what is going on with the "server error" I've been seeing when I try to upload pictures to Blogger. It only happens when I try to do this from work where we have a very tough fire wall on our Internet connection. We have a fire wall on our home connection, too, but it is not as restrictive as the one at our office. I will talk with our system administrator about it but I don't think they will be sympathetic to my wanting to update my blog at work. But I only do it at lunch!

No comments: