Thursday, July 01, 2010

A cwazy wabbit visits our yard

We were out in the back yard last night. The kids were running through the water sprinkler and Cindy and I were just talking. Charlie the hound dog was laying there taking it all in.

When we built the house, a guy hired by the builder came to plant grass around the house. He did a very poor job of hydroseeding and we mostly got weeds. Over the years, though clover has driven out most of the other weeds with patches of real grass here and there. I don't mind the clover. It's soft and the flowers are unique.

Well, it turns out that the rabbits like clover, too. So, last night I wasn't surprised to see a rabbit grazing in the clover. But what surprised me was that he (or she) didn't seem to care that we were there and that Charlie was there. I put Charlie on his leash in case he decided to chase the rabbit but he didn't seem to care. Even when I walked up close enough to snap this picture, the bunny didn't seem concerned. As you can see from the picture on the left, Charlie is a friendly dog. Does that face look like he'd hurt a rabbit? Well, he has caught baby rabbits in the past but he's not fast enough to catch a full grown rabbit. So, apparently, the word has gotten out that our yard is safe and the clover is tasty. So, we'll probably be seeing more "cwazy wabbits" in the future.

By the way, if you're interested in planting your own clover lawn, there is some information here. Apparently, it's pretty cheap but it doesn't stand up to foot traffic like grass does. Just be prepared for visits from bunnies.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

As long as Charlie doesn't eat them.

Gloria said...

We have a cute brown bunny living in our backyard this summer too. I think she has her home under the shed. I wish I could take her with us when we move, but Emily might object to that one. She likes watching her from the window with me. Smile today. :)

dxs_1 said...

Charlie looks much too comfortable to bother with rabbits