Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Gas mileage

At lunch today, instead of going for my usual walk in the woods behind the office, I went to fill up the gas tank on my new scooter. The gas gauge showed that I was down to a quarter tank after all. This was the first time I'd put gas in the tank since I bought the scooter. I knew how to get to the tank but I wasn't sure how well I'd be able to see the level of the gas. The first obstacle was that you have to pay first. Since the tank only holds 1.6 gallons, I gave the attendant $5 knowing that would cover the full 1.6 gallons if necessary.

As I slowly filled the tank (I didn't want it to overflow and ruin the nice new finish), I kept checking the readout of the pump. I got a shock when I saw "1.70" at one point. I thought the tank was supposed to only hold 1.6 gallons. It turns out I was looking at the price and not the number of gallons. I carefully put gas in until it reached the bottom of the filler tube (as stated in the manual). When I looked up, I saw that I'd put in 0.843 gallons! I'd put 84.9 miles on the bike since I bought it with a full tank. That means I got 100.7 miles per gallon! The scooter dealer may not have been as careful as I was and maybe he'd filled the tank up to the top of the filler tube. So, I may not be getting mileage that high. Now, the next time I fill the tank, I'll fill it to the same level and I'll get a better estimate of the mileage.

The other nice thing I learned was that when the gas gauge shows only a quarter tank of gas left, I know I've really got almost a half a tank of gas left. If the mileage is really about 100 miles per gallon, that means I could still go another 76 miles. We'll see. It sure was nice to get $2.65 in change from my $5.

1 comment:

Gloria said...

Sounds like you are enjoying your new scooter, and what great gas mileage! Wouldn't it be great if they could make more cars with better gas mileage too, instead of more bigger vehicles when people are mostly just using them for one person at a time? Smile today. :)