Wednesday, February 19, 2014

A few more pictures from New York

Here are a few more pictures from my trip to New York City in January. Links to my previous posts about it are here and here. When I found out that I was going to New York, one of the things I looked forward to was finding interesting places to eat. In the end, I ate where the rest of the guys in my group wanted to go. I'm a team player if nothing else but I would have liked to get a chance to try one of these places. Especially when I was on a fixed budget. I should have at least walked in just to see what they looked like inside. I can't imagine finding slices of pizza for $1.00 anywhere but especially in New York which has a reputation for being an expensive place. Now, I may never find out what they are like. They have a lot of locations (what a surprise) and here's a link to their webpage.

I started writing this post yesterday and this morning I heard a story on National Public Radio about this very thing. Here's a link to the story on Morning Edition. You can listen to the story. It's only 50 seconds long. It's about a petition to ban $1.00 pizza in New York. Apparently, it's been a tradition in the city for a number of years and the petitioners want to promote diversity in the food that is available.

Well, it looked to me like there is a lot of diversity. All of these pictures were taken on 9th Avenue within one block. Right next to 2 Bros. Pizza was a nice looking noodle place called Tabata Ramen and here's a link to them. Now that I look at their webpage, I really wish I had gone in there. It looks wonderful. And different - as in diverse. It would be one thing if all you saw around were $1.00 pizza places but that's not the case. There were all kinds of different types of food in this one block. In the next block was a Subway sandwich place and an Italian place called Pomodoro.

Looking down the street (in my last picture) you see even more types of restaurants. Fresco Tortillas. Trattoria Casa Di Isacco (sorry, no link -  may be closed). Curry Hut. Atomic Wings (you can't see it in my picture). My goodness. I think I may have to go back to New York just to walk down 9th Avenue just below 40th Street and try each of those out. It's a good thing it's lunch time or I would be going crazy. It's Wednesday and the company is feeding us. American Chop Suey. Not as good as my wife cooks but not bad.

No comments: